New King James Version (NKJV)
Marriage—Christ and the Church
22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
- Ok let’s start with (v. 22) today, and let’s see if I can dig myself in to a hole. We read “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord”
- So what does this mean? Does it mean that wives have no say in the home and should just do what they are told? “NO” it does not. This type of submission is not the type given by someone of lesser value, but rather someone of equal standing. A voluntary submission in the respect in which the man was qualified by his Maker to be head (Gen 3:16).
- Ok time or the men (v. 25) we read “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her”.
- The response of the husband is not to give commands, but to love his wife as Christ loves us. By doing this we will have a true partnership not a dictatorship. Just as Christ stands over the Church the husband should stand over the house hold and supply the family needs (1 Tim. 5:8), (1 Cor. 7:33), (1 Peter 3:7). For the type of love we are talking about here refer to (Matt. 5:43).
- “and gave Himself for her” here is the supreme test of love, is the husband will to forgo his happiness for the women he loves so she may have it. In this way the husband can imitate Christ and give up comfort and personnel pleasures to obtain them for his wife.
- Let’s finish with (v. 33) “Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.”
- “I do think that both men and women should see this passage as a reflection of our relationship to Christ. If you cannot treat the one person on this earth which loves you with all their heart, with the love of total submission. Than how can you love Christ that much?
- So I see this as a test. A test of love for not only your spouse but test of love for Christ.
Though of the Day
Today I would like to leave you with an Ellen White quote from her book entitled “The Ministry of Healing”
“Though difficulties, perplexities, and discouragements may arise, let neither husband nor wife harbor the thought that their union is a mistake or a disappointment. Determine to be all that it is possible to be to each other. Continue the early attentions. In every way encourage each other in fighting the battles of life. Study to advance the happiness of each other. Let there be mutual love, mutual forbearance. Then marriage, instead of being the end of love, will be as it were the very beginning of love. The warmth of true friendship, the love that binds heart to heart, is a foretaste of the joys of heaven”
Personal Reflection and Discussion
- Compare the following verses and tell me what you think; (1 Cor. 11:3), (Col. 3:18), (1 Tim. 2:11, 12), and (Titus 2:5).
- What is Paul saying to you in regard to relationships between Men and women?
- What other things do you see in the text?
- Call your Partner and discuss this devotional.
- Continue to have a prayer list and let the new people know you are praying for them.
- Pray with them and ask for the following;
I felt this was a very fitting verse for today’s prayer verse (Song of Solomon 5:2).
- For God to bring understanding of Him to your life.
- For God to strengthen your relationships with others.
- For the individuals on your pray list.